When I talked with my dad the other night, I really agreed with what he had to say, and the fact that we don't have talks like that often, and he had so much to say when we did talk, meant a lot. I really think that if I knew they needed people to work with kids in Nicaragua, I would not hesitate to say yes, but because it is going to be mainly adults they are trying to reach, I don't know if I would know how to communicate with them on the right level. With kids, you can hang out, love on them, and get close super fast, and it hurts to leave them. but you know you've instilled something in them... a small example of God's love. I mean, my Uncle could probably quote Bible verses, give you the reference for them and teach on them very easily. But that is not where I am gifted. I can quote half a verse to you and tell you whether or not it's in the Old or New Testament, but that's it. No be honest, I think when my Uncle gets back, he is going to want to go again. I want to go then.
I am planning on telling my boss today that I did not agree with what she said to me the other day, and that if I had felt that God wanted me to go to Nicaragua, I would have quite summer daycamp and gone. I can find a job somewhere else. God would have provided for me. I'm kinda afraid to approach her and tell her this, but I think it needs to be said. Those kids at Parkview have access to God everyday of their lives. Whether at school, or at church on the weekends. Even in summer daycamp, they have Bible studies everyday and chapel once a week (plus the Bible study). Those people and kids in Nicaragua may not have that at all. I don't think it was right for her to give me an ultimatum like that. Tennessee or Nicaragua. That's it. No more.
Upon reading this myself, it looks to me like I am taking the easy way out. I mean, kids are easier to talk to than adults are for probably anyone... but I really don't feel like God wants this for me yet. And the best thing to know about this, is that Gd promises that He will work all things for good to those that love Him (I know where that one is- Rom. 8:28 :) So whatever I choose, He will use that for His glory... whether it was the choice I should have made or not.
On the topic of Evilution (This is my bit of rebellion towards my biology class). Did you know that our mountains were formed by layers of sediment and minerals just "falling" on to each other? Oh yes, dear reader, that is where our mountains came from. My biology books says so. Also, did you know that through your ancestry, you are part monkey? Well, your family tree may not say so, but you are. I guess that is why my brother makes all those weird noises :) Did you know that cells (we have quite a large number of them in our body) Just sort of "appeared"... and they got together and decided they wanted to form something out of nothing... so they did... and that is how we (well, monkeys, then us) came to be here! Oh, and let me tell you the ever-so-cool story of how the dinosaurs died... are you ready? You may need some popcorn. *insert Star Wars theme song* Ok, so once upon a time, a meteor hit the earth. It created such a big cloud of dust that it blocked out the sun for 10 whole years.... this then killed the dinosaurs because all the plants and animals they ate died. The End.
What person that has any thought process whatsoever would believe this... sheesh!
Towards the close of every semester, BRCC gives a little in-class survey to their students. We have been doing these in all of my classes lately. it requires the professor to leave, and we fill them out, someone (a volunteer from the class) carries the manila envelope full of them to a little box called the "survey box." So, we get this paper with a 1-5 rating that we give our professor (it has about 15, 1-5 questions) questions such as "Does your professor use class time efficiently," "Does your professor explain material properly," etc. Then we also get a little "comment card" where we can write comments about the professor or class. I didn't put anything in my common card, but this is what I now wish I had put:
"Creationism should be taught alongside Darwin's theory of "Natural Selection." While Creationism doesn't seem appropriate to teach because atheists and evolutionists don't agree with it, Christians and anyone who believes in a higher power, don't believe that things have just evolved over time. So, either way, someone is getting offended. Why not teach both and just step on everyones toes instead of just stepping on some peoples toes and getting some offended :)" While that may sound silly, I think I should have said it... maybe just because it would have made someone think for more than 5 seconds. Oh well... coulda, shoulda, woulda, right?
On a very random side note (I do like side notes, don't I?)- I know they have an orphanage type place for kids around in Louisiana somewhere... I can't remember what it is called, but I want to go. I am going to talk to Mr. Tim and ask him if we can plan a trip to go visit those kids this summer as a group. Whether it be the leaders or the whole group of youth.
So, I have some chores to do. I am going to continue praying for Nicaragua though. I hope you have a most wonderful weekend! I get to take pictures at Morp of all the kids dressed up and dancing Cajun style :)
2 comments:
i love reading your posts. i don't think you are taking the easy route at all. the fact that you were even prayerfully considering going to a distant place shows growth just in itself. God obviously spoke through your dad, and you can relax in that. you are gifted with children and that shows. maybe start praying for an opportunity to get out of your comfort zone with kids (like the orphanage idea...thats great!)
and yes, lunch this summer with all the girls sounds like a wonderful plan. my life has finally begun to slow down and it's like i can breathe again and hang out with people that i haven't talked to in ages. i can't wait!
and me and joel will only make a year this august. and i'm so excited. i can't believe how fast time has flown. it seems like longer, doesn't it?
Hey Dom,
God does have a sense of humor. (See, none of our plans are what we thought they'd be, but somehow, He's still holding us.) :]
Sounds like God gave you some good time with your Dad through the Nicaragua decision. What a blessing! (And I think it's wonderful that God's giving you time to love on some kids in TN this summer!)
Being told that you've come from slime or star dust (my Earth Sci class last Fall) is rather depressing....The way you wrote about it is exactly the way it was in my Biology class, too. I'm pretty sure it's the standard presentation. I think they assume we can't think at all. :\
Francis Schaeffer is becoming one of my favorite writers. I just finished his book, "The God Who is There." (I'll write about it eventually!) Schaeffer does a great job explaining - well, pretty much the whole world, starting at the beginning. I think he wrote so well because he actually cared about people and wanted to help them find the Truth. His books have definitely helped me to think more clearly about creation, culture, etc.
Nathan and I just started our second term at Oxford through the Oxford Study Abroad Programme. We're studying International Law and C.S. Lewis. Oxford uses the tutorial system. The tutor assigns reading and an essay topic, and then we meet to read and discuss a new essay each week. They keep their students busy, but the term is only 8 weeks long, so it's not bad. 7 weeks to go, then summer!
I enjoyed seeing France...I'll have to write about it one of these days.
I will most definitely let you know when I'll be home and we should get together. Youth girl lunch date is a great idea. :]
Yay for Jonah and campaigns. (You know I love that stuff.) I hope he's having a good experience.
How are you? How are things going at youth?
Post a Comment