Friday, March 20, 2009

Lovely, oh how I've missed you...

A few of us met at church last night to carpool to a Jason Morant concert they were giving on Tulane's campus at Roger's Chapel. I didn't realize at first that it was at a Chapel... I actually didn't know till we arrived. Well, there ended up being like 7 young people (between the ages of 16-26), me, Kristian, a youth kid, and a youth leader in "process". So, we all arrive at the church around 5:45 (the concert started at 8). So, there ended up being four of us in my car, Nate ad Megan and another couple in his jeep, and Lino had two others with him. So, the trip there was fine. I have no complaints... 

We we get there, then I realize how small it is. I was thinking "concert".. like at least a few hundred people... at least. I think there was like 40 people (max). And most of them were Megan's old friends (she graduated from Tulane last summer). The concert was so casual. He walked in with all of us, and I immediately spotted him and pointed him out to Kristian by nudging her and shifting my eyes in his direction. It wasn't hard to spot him because he is a pretty tall guy and was the only one wearing a hat. Anyways, I was excited. He walked on the stage, there was a little chatter -not much though-, but as soon as he started tuning his guitar, everyone got super quiet. You literally could have heard a pen drop and knew exactly who dropped it. He looked up when it got quiet, glanced around then he small room, and let out a little chuckle, which caused a few others to chuckle randomly. He then stepped up to the mike and started singing and strumming his guitar. I don't know the name of the song he sang first, I have never heard it before, and I think it might be something new, but the room was super quiet. He had his audience captivated and silenced by respect.

A soon as that song was over, we clapped, he hummed a "thank you" as he grabbed some water. As soon as he set the water down, he started another song. I can't remember which song he followed with, but his audience was just as captivated. When he finished this one, He drank some water, set the bottle down, and before starting another song, he said hello and asked how we were doing. I thought it was neat because who in the rules book said we had to start everything with a hello? Why can't we reveal our heart to others before they know us? To open our hearts to people before we first say hello? I thought that was cool. No explanation, just God leading him. He then preceded to sort of explain why he hadn't had anything new out in a while. He said that he was going through a different season (then chuckled and pointed out that only Christians seem to use that word to describe periods of time... well, that and scientists), he said that he felt that his music was always a way for him to get things out... and the way he explained it, that maybe that was where he had come to get his identity, but then he came to a time of "questioning" where he wondered if that was the only place he met God: in his music. So he took a break, and went to Africa for a few months. He said that God just showed him a lot of different things. He said he also went to Scotland, and talked about how most of the churches there have been "Hollowed Out" so to speak. They are empty and used for things other than worship. He said that it just reminded him that Scotland had just evolved... they realized that they don't need a building to have a church. The foundation of the Church is not found in a building... and although it seems odd to think that they don't go to church on Sundays, God is still there. This all sounded a lot better when he said it because he was the one experiencing it, but that is sort of the gist of it. He wrote a song called Hollowed Out which was basically about the building that was once a church a few hundred years ago. Basically a "if this building could talk, what would it say" deal. It was really good. And he also played a song called Emmanuel that he isn't sure if he will put on a CD or not. It was written during the time when he was "questioning". It was really good and thought provoking as well. I hope he puts it on his next CD. Oh, a sidenote: Jason Morant likes to twist his face up when he sings. It could probably frighten a child. But he is a passionate guy.


Anyways, I really like Jason Morant as an artist, and now as a person. His City of Two Rivers EP that came out after Katrina, has one of my utmost favorite songs on it. Before he played it last night, he told us that this song sparked from the story of Hosea (also the inspiration of the amazing book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers) If you don't know the story of Hosea very well or haven't read Redeeming Love, I won't ruin it for you, but the song has an even deeper meaning to me now. 

Well, after the concert we all walked out and although he said goodbye and walked towards the door, he was standing at a table with CDs in front of him. Me and my posse were the first few out, and we were all just kind-of awkwardly staring at each other, and I felt odd, so I walked up to him and introduced myself. I felt so silly after. I don't know what came out of my mouth, but I don't think I would have been flattered if I were him. It gives me shivers just to think about it. I was tired, and I know I jumbled some of my words... so much for speech class, right? Oh well, I got my CD signed... and I don't know why I did it. I don't like getting the artists to sign stuff . They are a person too, and I always feel like I am placing them on a pedestal (uncomfortable for them). But, I was sorta hoping for him to start a conversation about something I said, and he didn't... so that made it more awkward. Oh, but please know that I am not blaming it on him... I think I just took him off guard with my introduction... and that made for awkwardness all around. I will never do that again.

Another sidenote: Tulane doesn't look like it belongs in New Orleans. I mean, it does... but it was so quiet last night and such a clean campus (I'm not being judgmental towards New Orleans... but I am). Also, Jason Morant stole my pen.... I kinda liked that pen, but it's ok. He may have needed one.

Anyway, that was my super long blab. I have to head to class now. If you didn't read it and just skipped on down to right here, I have no problem with that. Or maybe you just read teh very lat paragraph to get my summary. That was a long winded post.... Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Signed: another "stupid fan"

No comments: